Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My sansung microwave door will no latch up. you have to hold

Customer Question

my sansung microwave door will no latch up. you have to hold the door so it will work.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
If you open the door and lift up on the plastic door hook prongs on the door itself, does it feel like it has spring tension pulling it down or are they just moving freely?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no tension
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
OK that's what I figured. It sounds like you have a common issue where the tab on the back of the door hook broke so the spring isn't holding onto it anymore. The good new is that the part is very cheap, but it's not really easy to replace. Below is a link to the part. CLICK HERE for door hook assembly You will need to take the door apart to access this door hook assembly. Below are the steps needed. 1. Unplug the microwave 2. Remove the plastic cover on the inside of the door. There are no screws you must work your way around the inner plastic "choke" with a putty knife because it's clipped in all the way around. Just pry around the edges and unclip it to remove it.3. Now there are four screws fastening the metal part of the door to the exterior plastic door (glass is part of the exterior, plastic door).4. There are plastic tabs around the perimeter of the metal door. Carefully bend to release the interior metal door (this may release the exterior plastic door from the hinge. Best if there is someone holding the door while trying to unsnap the two parts.5. Once the tabs are released you can separate the two door parts to expose We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?