John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

The back of the fridge (inside) frosting up causing the fridge/freezer

Customer Question

The back of the fridge (inside) frosting up causing the fridge/freezer not to cool
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Fridge is approximately 12 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Every week we are shutting down the fridge to get rid of the ice build up. The side by side works for approximately 4 days and we start all over again. The Ice maker works fine. The motor never stops running
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today. If you have not provided the model number of the unit you are needing help with please go ahead and supply that information to me now so that I can give you model specific information on that unit, if you have already provided the model number please give me a few minutes to prepare your answer as I may need to look up part numbers, schematics, etc; depending on your question.Thank you for your patience.
The unit has a defrost problem in order to tell you how to diagnose the problem I will need the model number of the unit, it could be a bad defrost heater, a bad thermostat in the freezer, and depending on the model a bad defrost timer or control board. Please give me the model so I can help you further, thanks.