Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Magic chef range: 34JA-3TKXW. OVEN will not light. just replaced

Customer Question

magic chef range: 34JA-3TKXW. OVEN will not light. just replaced the igniter. no reaction-- no glow. broiler and 4 burners work. There is some control temperature mechanism inside the oven. 2 screws. thin short piece of metal sticking through the back of the oven wakk. is this a good bet? thanks. Bill
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.Since broil still work there are 3 possibilities, either another bad igniter, a bad safety gas valve, or a bad control board. You'll need to check power on the two wires going to the igniter. If you test power from one wire to the other and you have 120 volts when the oven should be turning on, then you have a bad igniter.Lets assume you don't get 120 volts when you make that test. Test each wire to ground to see if you get 120 volts. If you get 120 volts on one of the wires, then you have a bad gas safety valve. If you don't have 120 volts then you have a bad control board.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have no voltage meter. what if I switch the broiler igniter to the oven, to see if that works?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
You can definitely do that. That would let you know for sure if the igniter is the issue, but if the igniter wasn't the problem it would be a guess between the board and the gas valve
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what are the approximate prices of a gas valve and 'board' I guess there are 2 gas valves?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
the gas valve is 1 assembly part number 7501P095-60 which is no longer made but used to be $200. The board is also not made anymore so if it ends up being the valve or the board, it's time for a new appliance unfortunately.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Great news. Why did you even suggest a valve or a board if the do not exist anymore?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the igniter is new: 1 day old. I quit
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Because I can't control whats available or not. You might be able to find a used part somewhere, but regardless of what fails---I can't control it. I can only tell you what can cause the issues and how to know which one it is. You can do what tests you like and make a decision based on that. If the part isn't available and you can't find it, then replace the oven. You can quite wasting time trying to fix it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well, your first response could have been: "the news is not good: you have a brand new ingniter, but there are 2 other likely parts that are no longer made. Odds are, you need a new machine. This has nothing to do with you controlling the existence of parts. It has to do will tellingme up front-- you are , that's me -- are facing some bad news, a high probability.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry you don't like the way you feel I led you on, but the answer is the same in the end. I have no idea the parts are no longer available until you asked me to look them up.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We are finished. Thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
have a nice night.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?