WorthyHomeSolutions
WorthyHomeSolutions,
Experience:  Universal HVAC Tech at Kelly Enterprise
93996500

My microwave isn't working right since flipping the breaker.

Customer Question

My microwave isn't working right since flipping the breaker. It shorted out a day after we tripped the breaker.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: When I plug it in a fan runs continuously and some of the controls don't work.
JA: Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: The main dial control doesn't work
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  WorthyHomeSolutions replied 7 months ago.
hello what brand is your microwave and can you provide a model number
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
GE is the brand. Model # ***** *****
most of the time with this brand the board is the first thing to go out, there are also sensors that control the and other functions. Here is a manual for your unit. I repaired one today same issue but it was a thermal limit in the top of mw, located on the magnatron, should be held by one small screw i can get you a price for part if you need it.
did this help you at all
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do you suggest I replace? When I plug it in there is a fan noise and the display asks to set clock but the dial doesn't work so I just unplug. Should I replace the board or the thermal limit? Can we do a FaceTime call so you can see/hear what's happening?
THIS IS A BOARD ISSUE THAT IS WHAT I WOULD REPLACE, COULD HAVE GOTTEN A SURGE WHEN IT WAS UNPLUGGED HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. FIRST SIGN IS CLOCK AND NO TOUCH PAD REACTION, I WOULD FACE TIME YOU BUT RIGHT NOW I AM ON A JOB SITE. REALLY LOUD WOULD BE HARD TO HEAR. dO YOU HAVE A PLACE TO GET THE PART. IF NOT WHAT STATE DO YOU LIVE IN I MAY BE ABLE TO LOCATE THE PLACE FOR YOU
DO YOU HAVE A WARRANTY OR IS IT PASSED ALREADY
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I live in Austin Tx. No warranty. My wife just mentioned that prior to the shorting out the microwave wasn't heating food. Is that consistent with a bad board? I may order part online. Is the board easy to replace?
Ok we'll the board is real easy to install I can send you a break down and if need be I can walk you through it over the phone I will be at my office in 45min and I will be able to help with that the info is on my computer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I decided to just buy a new microwave. $200 for a board doesn't make sense for a 4-5 year old microwave. Thanks for your help.
I agree i looked around yesterday and even with my accounts they still run 200. I was going to suggest that you may want to buy a new one. when you get it save warranty. so you can get free parts. Well you can disassemble the other microwave and post the parts online ebay or amazon, thats what i do when we have to replace them just cause parts are not cheap, put money towards the cost of mw. I hope you have a great day