Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My glasses and all plastic ware keep getting a white film that

Customer Question

My glasses and all plastic ware keep getting a white film that I can't get off. Can you help me please?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Good morning. So unfortunately this white film is fairly common on dishwashers recently and it has to do with the government regulating detergents and not allowing phosphates anymore. A residue bakes onto the dishes so you will need to hand scrub all the dishes with white vinegar to remove the existing film. Now to make sure the film doesn't come back, you'll want to get an enzyme based detergent like the Electrasol Tablets. In addition to that, use Jet Dry Turbo for your rinse agent. These are the best products on the market and that will wash the dishes much better since detergents no longer contain phosphates. One other thing you can do for good measure is to run an empty cycle with a product called Dishwasher Magic. You can pick this product up at Lowes and it will clean out the entire dishwasher and make it look like new again. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also have some antique goblets that have a really bad film on them. I have tried the vinegar but will try again. Any answers that this?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately it's just really difficult to remove. I'm not sure what you could use that would be stronger than vinegar and not damage the goblets, but I'd stick with just vinegar and scrubbing to be safe.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Tyler. I will try your suggestions. Sure hope it works!!!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
No problem and I wish you only the best. Just so you know what that white residue is, it's baked on detergent which is why it's so hard to remove. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?