Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

I'm have an issue with my french door frigidaire ice makers

Customer Question

I'm have an issue with my french door frigidaire ice makers with the ice maker in the fresh food section. The temperature isn't getting down in the ice bucket and keep freezing up in the coils in the back of the ice maker
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I frequently fix appliances and have pulled this apart 2 times. However, the temperature is only getting down to 40*F. I suspect there is ice build up again.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly. Answer: Normally on that unit the fan goes bad and is not running to circulate air in the icemaker compartment. I would check and possibly replace the fan which is part #147 at this link.CLICK HERE All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Upon taking it apart, I noticed the fan running fine. I will take it apart again and see if that is the case but I don't believe it is. I heard if you open a hole in the bottom of ice container to help circulate air, that may work.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Potentially, could the thermister by bad? it's saying it's 47* now... but the fridge is at 36*... so that doesn't make sense.
If the refrigerator is actually 36 degrees and not 47 then yes I would say the thermister is bad.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I check temperature on the ice chest? I just did diagnostic and everything worked okay.
Just get a thermometer I use a digital Fluke you need to check the temps to see if the temps are an issue or not.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, let me do that. But I used the diagnostic to test fan, it worked fine.
ok sounds good