John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

Washing machine won't move into spin cycle. JA: I'll do all

Customer Question

Washing machine won't move into spin cycle.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Washer runs through wash cycle and stops once it encounters spin function. I have the service manual. I am getting no error codes. I have replaced the clutch assembly several times on this machine and I also replaced the RH lid lock once. Running through all the troubleshooting guides in the service manual it keeps pointing to the motor control assembly. I have tried 2 new motor control boards and checked all the connections to no avail. If I start a wash cycle and put it into service mode it will let me advance through every cycle up to the spin cycle and then no further. Any ideas?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Will you please send me the make and model number, so I can find the necessary technical information I need to assist you? Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Maytag FAV6800AWW Series 10
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Check to see if the motor is turning, when the spin cycle is called for. If it is, replace the drive belt. The part number is(###) ###-#### ***** the price is $29.70. It can be purchased at www.repairclinic.com. If the motor isn't turning, please let me know, and we will pursue other solutions.Using the expert's rating scale, found at the top of your screen, please click the star that best reflects your satisfaction with my answer. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Motor just turns the agitator
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
OK Thank you. The drive belt needs to be replaced, as mentioned in my previous response. This symptom occurs, when the belt will drive the agitation cycle, because there is less of a load on it. The belt fails to start the spin cycle, due to having to over come the weight of the wet clothes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It also does it with no clothes in the tub.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
That's not usually the case with a loose belt. Let me research this, and I'll get back to you. Thank you.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
I found a discussion on your problem, which says that the tub must start to spin and reach 850 rpm in a specified time, or the controller will shut the cycle down. I still think replacing the drive belt will solve the problem. If not, we can continue to discuss it, until we do solve it. Just to be sure, try to turn the drum counterclockwise with one finger. If it turns easily, the belt is the problem. If it resists your effort to turn it, please let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The belt is tight. Drum won't spin either direction.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
I was hoping for the simple solution, I guess. The tub rides on a spinner spindle, and it's that part that has frozen. The part costs about $375.00, and it's a major job of disassembly to replace it. If you wish to consider doing the job yourself, please let me know, and I'll get the part number, and look for an instruction video for you.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Do you need more help, before your request times out?