John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

GE Refrigerator ice maker is not functioning

Customer Question

GE Refrigerator ice maker is not functioning properly.
It is a 2 door, side by side, model PSS 273HMB-BJ SN: 408316.It makes ice but seems to be leaking water and then the whole bucket of ice gets frozen together. IT also will not dispense through the door shoot anymore.Any advice?Thank you,
Ann Marie
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! Is the freezer section staying cold? If you look at the flapper that closes at the dispenser chute, is it sealing well and not allowing warm air to get up that chute?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
HI Kelly,
Thanks for your quick response.
Yes, the freezer is staying cold, that is the good news.
Yes the flapper that closes at the dispenser chute is also staying closed.... Umh.
I think it might be something to do with the wire that sticks through the whole in the back not working properly. Nothing comes out when we push "crushed" and "cubed". There used to be a spinning sound with the motor, I think, but now there is NO noise when we push the lever to get cubed or crushed ice out the front door with out opening the freezer door.Ann Marie
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
At the door hinge is the wiring connection from the door electronics to the main wiring harness. Can you inspect that connection to see if the wiring is in tact and not all corroded?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Kelly,
The only visible wires for the door electronics that I can see are covered in a white plastic wire cover ( cannot see any wires), it is all computerized/digitalized on the refrigerator side read-outs and on the freezer door, there is a water connector/plastic tube running up the hinge inside... so I don't see any corrosion. Do I need to look elsewhere? Behind the unit? for these connections...
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
At the hinge there should be a connector that unplugs to remove the door.