Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

I have a wood stove that I want to set up and I want to see

Customer Question

I have a wood stove that I want to set up and I want to see if its ok if I run black pipe outside for the chiminey. basically im trying to make it as inexpensive as possible. I already have the brackets and the inside balck pipe as well as the wall thimble and insulated pipe to go thru the wall. I just wanted to make sure I could use black pipe for the chiminey after it comes out the the wall from the insulated metal bestos
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 5 months ago.
It would not be unsafe to do that , but that pipe won't last. I would check the local codes before you do this first though , or you may be doing it over . Also the pipe must go up past the roof a certain distance for the stove to draft correctly. Let's say it is on the side of the roof that has a gutter - it must be at least 2 ft. higher and at least 2 ft. from a horizontal line to the roof ( the steeper the roof , the higher it would be to accomplish this )
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok I live in Alaska way outside of town so code isn't an issue I just don't want it to burn my place down. why would it have to be replaced? I know a lot of people use it on the inside. is there a reason it being on the outside its going to get ruined or unusable?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
also are you saying that it needs to be two fet higher then the highest point of the roof and two feet away from the edge of the roof?
The temperature difference between the inside of the pipe and the outside of the pipe is more extreme outside. The top of the pipe doesn't need to be higher than the peak of the roof. Wherever it goes past the roof vertically ( say where the gutter is , or soffit) at least 2 feet above that and at least 2 feet from the roof if you would draw a horizontal line from the top of the pipe over to the roof.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I see what your saying, as for the using just regular black pipe on the outside. what's the reason for the pipe not lasting? How long will it last? prices for unsulated piping in Nome, AK are crazy expensive. so I'm trying to find a way to do it cheaper.
I'm aware you have extremely cold winters in Nome . All you can do is keep an eye on it and if starts rusting through replace it. Aluminum pipe would be a better option and still not as expensive as triple wall pipe
If you have no further questions please rate my answers