Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Kitchenaid freestanding ice maker...model KUIA18NNJS5.

Customer Question

I have a Kitchenaid freestanding ice maker...model KUIA18NNJS5. It is not making ice.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The reservoir fills up and water flows over the cooling ice is being produced. I vacuumed the coils.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: The pump seems to feel warmer to the touch.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
If the coils have been cleaned and water is flowing over the chill plate, you have a sealed system problem. Either your hot gas bypass valve isn't sealing up so hot gas is mixing with the cold freon, or your evaporator plate has cracked internally stopping the freon from flowing and freezing the plate properly, or you could just have a bad compressor/freon leak. This is not something you can fix yourself I'm sorry to say. It will require a technician to go out and check the freon pressure to determine if the pressures are off and then they can assess what is wrong from there. The least expensive repair would be a freon leak and that's about $350 to have repaired typically. One of the more expensive repairs would be a new chill plate which would probably run about $700 or so just so you understand the range of how much this issue is going to cost if you wanted to fix it. I'm very sorry about the bad news. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?