Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

My Whirlpool DU1100XTPSA dishwasher cleans poorly and does

Customer Question

My Whirlpool DU1100XTPSA dishwasher cleans poorly and does not completely drain. Often there is significant residue in glasses, suggesting the possibility that the rinse pressure is poor. The unit _mostly_ drains, but a small amount of water is typically visible in the center of the bottom of the unit after the cycle. There unit makes normal sounds, and seems to run normal length of time. The spray arms do rotate, but one appliance repairman suggested they should make a complete rotation after you open the door mid-cycle, and these do not rotate that far, possibly suggesting poor pressure. The repairman suggested replacing the circulation pump, $167 in parts and $190 in labor. I'd rather replace it myself, but I question whether there's reason to think the motor is really bad. I'd like advice about whether I should try replacing just the filter or the spray arms, or other tests I can do to decide whether it makes sense to replace the whole motor/pump assembly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 7 months ago.
Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Catigory My name is Woody. I will be glad to assist you today. I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College. I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt. You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer. I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance. #1 do you run the hot water at the closest sink before starting the dishwasher?#2 have you ever used a dishwasher cleaner in the unit? #3 how much detergent do you use with each load? The standing water is normal , it keeps the pump seal lubricated .and the spray arms will not turn a full rotation once the door switch has been opened.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
#1 - water is definitely hot at the sink next to the dishwasher
#2 - no, have not used any cleaner. In the attached picture, you can see there is some gray material in the drain, apparently partly clogging it. Maybe this can be disassembled and cleaned without a part replacement?
#3 - we fill one of the two cups with liquid detergent (the one that closes). We don't generally put any in the second, open cup.
In the picture, you can see the amount of standing water. Is that a normal quantity? I'm surprised this is normal.
Thanks!
look at all of the debris in the pump sump .You need to use a cleaner to get rid of all of that before it will clean properly.I recommend Finnish cleaner .http://www.finishdishwashing.com/products/enhancers/dishwasher-cleaner/dishwasher-cleaner/
always run the hot water at the closest sink ,before starting the dishwasher, that way the unit will fill with hot water rather then just room temperature water. hot water dissolves the detergent better and dissolves any oils and grease left on the dishes.And use 1-3 table spoons of detergent and rinse agent .If you use those pods you still need to use rinse agent to properly rinse the dishes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll try that immediately. Do you think just adding a cleaner will resolve it, or should I explore taking the unit apart to clean it?
I understand why this would affect the unit draining, but would it also explain the poor cleaning?
yes it would effect the draining and the cleaning ,and the cleaner is designed to dissolve fatty acids and mineral deposits ,you should not have to take the upper half of the pump apart.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your help, Woody. I ran a few passes of Finnish cleaner, but there was just way too much accumulated gunk. I ended up deciding to take the dishwasher apart, and I'm really glad I did. It was packed with what I assume is some sort of undissolved soap residue, built up over the past nine years. It was amazing. I'm sure I took four cups of solid material out of there. I took apart everything. The middle spray arm was packed with material for the last 4" at each end. Took apart the accumulator assembly and cleaned the chopper, sump housing, volute. Disassembled the upper sprayer... absolutely everything was partially caked up with this white gunk. After cleaning everything and reassembling, the unit is working much better. I've ordered a new spray arm (mine leaks badly down the sides) and new heater element (mine is missing insulation), and I hope to be back to near 100%. I wanted to let you know that it apparently _is_ necessary in some (extreme?) cases to take the whole thing apart to get the gunk out. I wondered if our lack of a water softener, coupled with hard local city water, might be contributing to this problem? Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would you bother to replace the heating element if some of the insulation has cracked off, or is that not important?