Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Tyler - You previously helped me with this same issue,

Customer Question

Hi Tyler - You previously helped me with this same issue, but unfortunately it was not resolved by replacing the ice maker. I had a local repairman come out and look at it, and he said that the ice maker would not work unless _two_ solenoids engage, and there is no voltage at the other solenoid. (Note that neither the ice maker nor the in-door water dispenser are working.) He said there was likely a connection broken in the door, and the door would have to be replaced. I called GE and the door is no longer available, meaning that I now have to replace the entire fridge if I want ice. I wonder if you'd help me vet this diagnosis. It doesn't seem right to me. I understand that the solenoid I replaced triggers water to the ice maker and door dispenser. Why would there be a second solenoid involved?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
This was an over designed system which they only used for a couple years before they decided to change the way it works. The first valve opens and closes to allow water to the filter, then the water comes back down from the filter and goes into the 2nd valve and out to the dispenser and icemaker from there. If one of them is getting power and the other is not, then it sounds like you either have a broken wire or more likely the diode cluster next to the valve has a failed diode. If you look next to the valve you'll see where a couple wires come together and wrapped in shrink wrap. There is a diode inside this shrink wrap and it can fail causing no power to go to the second valve so below is a link to the diode kit I would try to replace. If that doesn't fix the issue, then locating a broken wire through the wall may not be possible. CLICK HERE for diode kit