Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

French door frig. Freezer working, frig at 65 degrees JA:

Customer Question

French door frig. Freezer working, frig at 65 degrees
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: MFD2560HES FRIG STOPPED COOLING BUT FREEZER CONTINUES TO WORK
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: Put therms. On coldest setting with no result
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Good morning! So let's start by explaining why the refrigerator isn't working but the freezer will still cool normally. This means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own. If both the heater and thermostat do happen to have continuity, the display board at the top of the refrigerator section needs to be replaced because that is the part that actually controls the defrost cycle.To remove the back panel itself, just remove all the screws going into the back panel to start. There is a plastic vent directly in the middle toward the top of the back panel that you must unclip. There are 3 hidden clips you must pry on with a flat head screwdriver to release this vent panel and below is a picture where I drew an arrow to all the clip locations you need to pry on. To the right of this vent is a little oval plastic cover which houses a temperature sensor. Slide a flat head screwdriver into the slit on the front of the cover and pry in the hole to release this cover and get the sensor out of the way. Now you can pull the back panel off.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?