John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

We have a older model Vulcan range with 6 burners. In our

Customer Question

We have a older model Vulcan range with 6 burners. In our last home we used it daily off a large propane outdoor tank. Since we moved we want to set it up on a 20lb tank. We have tried two difference size nozzles coming off the tank. The small one gives us a very small flame on one or two burners and the one with the big opening lets nothing through once it is hooked up to the range. We have been to hardware store, replaced propane pressure regulator twice and had a lincenced plumber look at it and we still do not have gas coming through. Our set is 20lb tank, then brass fitting that allows gas to pass through, we have the small and large hole opening to try, 4 ft flex gas hose to propane regulator to range. Stove is only part with a pilot light that can stay lit
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
How long is the hose that goes from the propane tank to the range? Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We had one on there that was 2 ft long then just last nights added another one to the 2 foot that is 4 ft and put and put a gas hand valve between them. We thought the fitting with the small opening was just not letting enough gas through because only one or two burners would barely light. Then when we put the one with the big opening on it- nothing came through- no gas. So we put the bigger brass fitting on with a separate handle to regulate the gas. All this before the pressure regulator and range
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I really do appreciate your help. My husband has has mouth cancer and there is very little that he can eat at a restaurant. We have not had a stove for about 10 days and he has already lost over 15 pounds
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
John- received the email saying I was charged the rest of the $40- which is fine- I just need the help- but I do not see where any suggestions are on how to fix my problem? Are you still working with me?
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Your funds are held for future use, only when you accept an answer. They are refunded, if you request it. The range you have is a restaurant grade appliance. It simply requires a larger gas flow rate than a 20 pound propane tank can provide. You were all right with the larger tank previously, and you'll need a larger tank to make it function properly again. I don't think anything else is needed to solve your problem. I suggest you schedule the delivery of the larger tank on a rental basis, until you're certain you have the correct capacity to supply your range properly. Using the expert's rating scale, found at the top of your screen, please click the star that best reflects your satisfaction with my answer. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
John- we already went to our local gas company and they said the pressure coming out of a 20 lb tank compared to a big tank is the same and that the 20 should be no problem. Why would the valve with a tiny opening let a small amount of gas through but the valve with the bigger opening allows no gas to come through stove. If we hook everything except the range up to the tank including the pressure regulator and turn on the tank- propane pressure is great coming through regulator. But as soon as we hook the regulator back up to the range nothing happens when we use the brass valve with the big opening
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
The pressure in the tanks is the same, but the volume of gas from the small tank is insufficient to satisfy the needs of the large range components. The small valve doesn't allow enough gas through it, and the burners in the range, reduce the gas pressure in the small tank to the point that it saps the pressure down. Perhaps a water analogy will help. If you try to fill a 5 gallon pot with a one gallon container that has a spigot, opening the spigot just a bit will let the water pass too slowly. If you open the spigot all the way, the water will drain out quickly, but have very low pressure through it. You really need to install the same size or larger tank, that worked so well at your previous home.