Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

My fan has a hard time switching directions JA: I'll do all

Customer Question

My fan has a hard time switching directions
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: When you hit the remote to go in reverse the fan slows down but does not switch directions.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly. What is this unit make and model?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hampton Bay fan model number 68 ATR
What happens does it not switch and are you waiting until it stops to switch it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It used to work fine. When I would hit the reverse button the fan would slow down stop and then go in the other direction. Now the fan slows down just a little and then it continues in the same direction.
You should never switch directions while the fan is running you likely have damaged the speed control board on the fan. If you stop it and then start it a different direction if it works great, if not you need to replace the board. All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But there is no reverse switch. If I would hit the reverse button on the remote while the fan is stopped it would still continue in the previous direction. The only way it would reverse is that the fan be running. It has worked fine for 6 years just recently it started to act up.
yes the speed control in the unit is bad
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is that part of the receiver?
Yes in the fan itself
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This already cost me more money then I thought it would. It was supposed to be $5.00 and they charged me $23. Sorry but no thanks.