Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Whirlpool dryer won't cycle and continues to blow thermostat.

Customer Question

Whirlpool dryer won't cycle and continues to blow thermostat. What could cause this? Airflow through exit duct is fine? Model number is *****
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! If the air flow is good, the element is likely shorted to ground and not shutting off. Does it heat during an Air Fluff only cycle?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Heating coil does not activate when "air only" is set. But it won't cycle on low heat. I would assume that's why I am on my second thermostat in 2 days @ $50.00 a pop.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
What part number are you installing?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would rather talk but not for $24 extra bucks.
Part number is
5185
309F(###) ###-####
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
If that is the part that is opening, there has to be an issue with the air flow. The low heat cycle is only about 15* cooler than regular, so it should be cycling on the main thermostat. Did you clean the bottom of the lint filter housing, number 1 in the diagram at the link below? CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. Let me do that
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
It is probably plugged, let me know. Watch the edges of that opening, they are sharp!
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Oh, and that kit is available below for much less! CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Partially clogged with lint. Should I run it with the housing/filter off to see if it cycles? An about how long does the heating coil turn on before it cycles off? I don't want to run it too long and blow another thermostat.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
No, you have to have it on to allow air to flow properly. Is the lint filter clean? Will water run through it or does it collect?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lint filter is very clean and I have now cleaned all of the fan/housing parts. I am going to reassemble and give it a try?
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
I would, yes. Did you test the heating element for a short to ground?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, I don't know how to check that
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
You can just take the element out and inspect it, they are usually very noticeable.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Running on low heat. Heating element has been continuously on for 3 minutes. Should it have cycled off by now?
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
If the drum is empty, probably. But if you have the back off, the air flow is not going to be as it usually is.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have clothes in it. Everything is put back together. After I changed first thermostat, wife said it felt and smelled hotter than normal. Then the thermostat blew on 2nd load of laundry.Looks like it is cycling on low heat now. Hopefully that fixed it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Sounds like that blockage in the housing! Good job! Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help! Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, here's what it's doing. When I initially start the dryer, heating element turns on. After 3 or so minutes, it turns off. After 5 plus minutes, It doesn't cycle back on, even on high heat. The heating element housing is warm to the touch, so I would think that it should kick back obBut when I restart the dryer from scratch, it turns on and cycles off and doesn't seem to want to cycle back on.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Basically it kicks on and cycles off after a few minutes but doesn't want to kick back on.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just kicked back on. Guess I am not patient enough. Thank you for all your help!
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
The thermostat on the blower housing controls the heat cycle. If it hangs up, you may need that thermostat. CLICK HERE Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help! Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you send me a diagram of where that one is so I will know if the problem arises again?
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
It is the one on the blower housing, right by where the air blows out.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Got it thanks. I replaced the other two on the heating element already. Have a good weekend and thanks again. We can now get back to doing laundry for the 5 of us.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Good luck getting caught up, I live in a house of 6, laundry is never ending! :-)