Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My side by side refrigerator/freezer is not working the panel

Customer Question

my side by side refrigerator/freezer is not working the panel says SY EF nothing I do seems to work what does this mean?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
SY EF means that the fan inside your freezer section isn't running up to speed. You'll want to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Unplug the freezer of course and use a hair dryer to thaw any ice/frost around the fan motor. Re-assemble and if the error comes back, either the fan is faulty or the main control board is bad and not reading the fan properly. There is really no way to test the speed of the fan since you won't have a variable speed strobe light to determine the exact speed so you'll want to start by replacing the fan motor first. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?