Experience:  Owner at Dales Electronic

My GE microwave internal fan and light won't turn off, once

Customer Question

My GE microwave internal fan and light won't turn off, once the cooking is complete. The fan only turns off if I open the door or unplug it.
I have replaced the Control board, but still the same issue.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! The primary door switch is faulty. It is usually the lower door switch on the bracket. I usually replace all three at the same time as they all tend to fail about the same time and they are inexpensive. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help! Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh, I forgot to mention the plate is also stopped turning. Not sure if it's related or not, but it may be relevant.Thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
They are all related to door switch failure. Once you replace the door switches, you will have no more issues.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm waiting on the parts, once I receive them, hopefully within the next couple days, I will let you know.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Got 3 new door switches, still same issue. :(
I was skeptical the issue was the door switches, since I was able to test for continuity in all 3 of them.
Any other ideas?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.
Can you confirm that you did not purchase three switches that are the same?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The item description mentioned they were different, but I didn't actually check the switches (they have different colors). Is a continuity check good enough to determine if they are different. I can also try to use the old switches for the top and middle, and just replace the bottom switch, since it's supposedly the bad one.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.
Usually you have 2 that are normally open and one normally closed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So I finally had some more time to work on this.
Here is what I found:
Both set of switches,the new set I just bought and the old set have the same behavior.
Top Switch: NO
Middle Switch: NC
Bottom Switch: NOI tested all the switches (new and old) for continuity and they all functioned properly.
I think at this point we can rest the Switch case.
Could it be something else?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.
It now is really a case of tracking bake the cables to where they are connected to the main pcb. If you still have power at this point and the switching is working satisfactorily then other than a shorting out cable it has got to be the main pcb or you have got the door switches in the wrong order.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I called a technician, he replaced the switches (again) and spent 1 and half hour trying to figure out the issue, but he left without resolving it. Tomorrow his supervisor will attempt it.
Hmm... maybe it's time to sell this thing for parts and get a new one.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Latest Update:
Supervisor came over and said the issue is the control board.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.
Well you couldnt make that up bearing in mind that you had already changed the control board - glad you got it sorted in the end.