Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My Kitchenaid Superba KUDS230B0 won't start. It worked fine

Customer Question

My Kitchenaid Superba KUDS230B0 won't start. It worked fine a couple of days ago, no indication anything was failing. The power to the unit is good. The door interlock switch is working. Other forums mention a possible problem with the thermal switch but the owner manual for this model doesn't list one. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly. IS the unit dead nothing at all?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing at all.
OK remove the lower panel and check the wiring at the romex cable connection at the junction box under the unit. You likely have a wire burned out there where they are wire nutted together check that and let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nope, pulled the panel and (after much checking) jumped a new cord from another source. Good power to the unit.
OK do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yep, been using it
Do you have power at the door switch?
Also is the door peg actuator on the frame in tact and is the switch being pressed in, that is the one in the right upper corner on the door
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So, which side to where?
The switch to tests good, don't know where the downstream part would be.
The peg operateso the switch just fine (pulled the face panel off to check all that).
Check each side of the switch to ground for 120 volts
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Very live. I checked the switch earlier, still works.
Do you have 120 volts to ground at the Black with White trace wire the #12 to the timer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh yea, popped the ground fault -
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Several 'BK' leads to that block. Took my best guess, 2 others look more like outs - no white marks.
OK then the timer is bad or you may have a broken neutral wire in the door that really is about the only two things that could cause that issue. Sometimes the wires break in the door where they make the bend from years of opening and closing so I would check that and then replace the timer. All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We will check out they neutral chafing issue - most liKelly event, since this is an 'ancient' unit.
Yep that happens on those due to the age. PLease remember to use the rating system for credit for me thanks