Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Freezer coils on top rack are covered with thick white ice.

Customer Question

freezer coils on top rack are covered with thick white ice. freezer only cools down to 20 degrees. used to go to 0 degrees.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. Are the rest of the coils bare aluminum no frost?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes. The compressor is also hot to the touch.
OK then you may have a restriction in the system or possibly the unit could be low on freon. You would have to check the current on the compressor to verify it. If you are drawing over 1.1 amps then you have a restriction more than likely, if you are drawing under 1 amp you likely have a system low on freon. Now both issues are major repairs and may not be worth putting the time or money into on the unit but that is up to you. All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!