Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I have an Amana bottom freezer fridge. a month the

Customer Question

I have an Amana bottom freezer fridge. For about a month the freezer has not been getting cold enough to freeze ice cream and such. Tried cleaning everything underneath that's good now. There's no frost build up. It's running all the time on the coldest setting. I changed the defrost thermostat. I'm leaning towards a leak of refrigerant or bad compressor. Am I going in the right direction?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: 15 years old but that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.To answer your question, yes I would have to agree that you have some sort of sealed system issue, to verify, if both the evaporator fan and condenser fan is running at any given time the compressor should be running as well. If the fans and the compressor are running and its not cooling properly and you do not have a defrost issue where the coil is icing up then yes it has a sealed system problem, either low on freon, a restriction in the system not allowing the freon to flow properly or a bad compressor that is not pumping properly. To verify you can remove the back freezer panel and look at the frost pattern on the evaporator coil, you should have a light frost on the entire evaporator, it should not stop mid way or have a block of ice built up at the very top of the coil etc, if so that means a sealed system issue for sure. Let me know what you find, thanks. In the meantime: We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed. Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks! After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing. NOTE PLEASE READ: When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system. Thank You! Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.
Hi there,I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, if there is something else I can help you with follow up questions are free and can still be handled even after you rate the answer or did you just forget to rate the answer?