Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Frigidaire refrigerator. Ice crescents frequently jam in the

Customer Question

Frigidaire refrigerator. Ice crescents frequently jam in the the dispenser chute.
- Ice MAKER works fine (problem is with the dispenser).
- Crescents are normal size.
- When ejected into the storage bin, crescents often remain as one unit but they easily break apart when the auger starts.
- Dispenser flap opens and closes normally. When closed there is no gap (tested w/flashlight).
- When a jam occurs, the auger keeps dispensing until the door is openned (and cubes fall to the floor).
- Freezer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! To cbe certain I understand the issue, the cubes are sticking together and hamming or the cubes are individually getting stuck in the chute? May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
FGHS2655PF
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
To be certain I understand the issue, the cubes are sticking together and hamming or the cubes are individually getting stuck in the chute?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They're usually separated by the time they get in the chute.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Okay, so it is probably not that the cubes are too big. When the flapper door opens, does it seem to open all the way?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, it does. And it works normally sometimes -- maybe half the time.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Could it be that cubes are dropping after the dispenser is off and not getting dispensed? Do you see any broken plastic in the ice container's opening at the front where the cubes come out?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No plastic. And when the auger stops there's no sound of more cubes dropping.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What usually happens: I push a glass against the dispenser, the auger starts, then several cubes come out. The auger keeps grinding but no more cubes exit. When I remove the glass, the auger keeps on grinding and won't stop until I open the freezer door and find the dispenser filled to overflowing.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
It sounds to me like the issue is with the ice container. The number 41 is pretty common to break and allow excess cubes to pass. Can you dump the cubes into a container and inspect that part from the inside> CLICK HERE
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Also closely look at number 6 in that same diagram.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll try to check both and get back to you. Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
I suspect that is where the trouble lies. Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Part 41 seems fine - both the housing and the metal rotating part inside - and it's door seems actuated normally by rod 46.
Re #6, I can't access it without removing plate 23 which I'm hesitant to do: remember that the dispenser works normally about half the time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Actually, I'm not sure now if I understand the location of part 6. The "plate" I was referring to is actually #20.)
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
The number 6 is the plastic round part pictured at the link below. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK -- found it. It's intact.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Great! So nothing in that co9ntainer appears to be broken or chipped at all?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's correct.
(By the way, everything works fine in "crush" mode.)
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
It sounds to me like the cubes may simply be too big. Have you noticed them as larger than they used to be?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No - same size (but I've always had the problem). Is the cube size adjustable on this model? (Nothing in the manual about it.)
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
It is not, it is controlled by the ice maker control head and a flow washer in the water inlet valve. It is recommended to shake the ice bin before dispensing cubes as well. A tedious action but it may help in dispensing. The manufacturer recommends getting large amounts of cubes directly from the bin as well. I suspect it is just the way it is and will need to be worked around.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well, I appreciate your try.
Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't pay anything -- my problem wasn't resolved -- but I don't want to give a bad rating (you tried hard). How do I do this?