Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a whirlpool ER2CHMXPQ04 and it stopped working, so instead

Customer Question

i have a whirlpool ER2CHMXPQ04 and it stopped working, so instead of just buying a new one i decided to try to fix it myself. pulled the fridge out from the wall and removed cardboard dust cover on the back bottom of the fridge, noticed the fan was running but not the compressor , so i took voltage readings at the start relay on the compressor and had 119 volts so i figured it is the start relay went bad. so i ordered a new overload and start relay , put them in when they got here and the fridge was working fine, i had 20 degree air blowing out of the vents in the freezer and 48 degree air blowing out the vent in the fridge.worked fine for about 1 hour and quit working again!! but this time beside the compressor not running now the fan is not running either, im stumped and have no idea what else could be wrong ,any advice would be awesome!!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. Answer: The operating thermostat is likely bad and the cause of your whole issue. That will kill power to everything and is part #71 at this link, they go bad a lot and may have been your original problem all along. The contact inside the thermostat goes bad ans then it may work for a bit then nothing if you wiggle the dial back and forth often it will come on again. CLICK HERE All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I went to the link you provided and there is no #71 on the diagram, so I have no idea which part I need to get, if you could send me the diagram number please, that would be awesome! !
I am sorry it is 71 dollars and is part #13 my typo mistake sorry!