John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I heard a rapid snapping sound during a spin/rinse cycle, as

Customer Question

I heard a rapid snapping sound during a spin/rinse cycle, as the drum was accelerating. Is this an indication of trouble?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Is the snapping noise occurring about once per revolution or much quicker than that?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The snapping was at a constant rate of about 5 hz for about 1.5 sec during initial spin up from rest, so was not related to spin speed. There are several spin ups in a wash cycle, and this has occurred only occasionally. The sound of each snap was very much like a static discharge. It sounded more like an electric arc than like a relay or switch.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
Does this occur when the appliance changes direction or at a particular point?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is unfortunately not a regular phenomenon, so a pattern is hard to discern. When it happened recently, it was apparently a once-off, and occurred at the start of one high-speed spinup, from rest after a rinse cycle. There are, I believe three rinse cycles, each of which has a spinup at the end, and this occurred on (I think) the first of the three and not on the subsequent two.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
OK this may seem like an odd question but I cant get access to the data at the moment, is it belt driven or direct drive?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How would I discover that information? This machine has the dryer stacked on top, so I can't even move it to look in the back, if that would help. I have no clue.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
OK leave it with me a short while and I'll find out for you.