Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an old Whirlpool refrigerator, bought in 1987, model

Customer Question

I have an old Whirlpool refrigerator, bought in 1987, model ED22MMXRW. It's not cooling well. Assuming it just needs freon, or maybe even a new compressor, I'm wondering if it's worth repairing. Is there a way to find out the energy efficiency rating on this old model, so I can compare it with new models? If the efficiency savings are not large, I don't know if buying new is worth it. Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There were no digital records saved on a unit this old, but the energy savings would be quite large since they used a different type of freon and compressor than the current DC motor R134A compressors and freon used now. As for whether the refrigerator is worth fixing or not, you'll want to pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel. Make sure the fan by the compressor is running and clean the coils below the refrigerator if they are packed with dust and lint using a refrigeration coil brush that you can pick up at Home Depot or other hardware store. If you still have problems, pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and if the coils aren't frosted from top to bottom and left to right and instead just have a partial frost pattern, then the refrigerator won't be worth fixing because you have a sealed system issue. Anything else would likely be worth fixing whether you had a bad thermostat or the coils were completely packed with frost due to you having a defrost issue where the unit isn't defrosting on it's own anymore. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?