Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Our GE Profile Spacemaker XL 1800 microwave is not functioning.

Customer Question

Our GE Profile Spacemaker XL 1800 microwave is not functioning. It makes a loud buzzing noise whenever we open the door, and doesn't stop until the door is closed. None of the controls affect the noise. Recommendations?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. Does it work when you program it to heat and press start?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It has a kind of rattling buzz as soon as I start to program it. It buzzes louder as soon as I hit "start" and won't stop until it's programmed time expires, no matter what I hit (pause, stop, etc.). It doesn't appear to be heating. The tray is not turning.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you there?
ok I would say you have a magnetron tube issue and it is likely shorted to ground causing that issue. That is an expensive repair you may not want to fix it dues to cost. This would likely 250+ to repair it so you would have to decide what you want to do. All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Yes did you get my post the site has been acting funny