Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

I have a general electric profile side by side fridge/freezer.

Customer Question

I have a general electric profile side by side fridge/freezer. The temperature for the freezer does not work - how do I reset it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The power went out for a second the other day and since then the freezer temperature reads numbers like +300 etc. How do I reset the freezer temperature.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.could you give me the model number of unit so that I can be of better assistance, it will be on a tag on the right or left wall of the refrigerator compartment, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The model# ***** *****
The directions for setting the temperature on that unit are below, but if you aresaying that the temperature setting is showing stuff like +300 for temperaturethen that is not normal operation, you will need to unplug the unit for about 5minutes and plug it back in and see if the control resets and operates properlyif it does not then the power surge damaged the main control board and it willhave to be replaced:GE Refrigerator Main Control Board WR55X10942 - click hereIts located behind the rectangular metal cover on the rear of the unit.Touch-LED Dispenser Control:To change the temperature, press and release the FREEZERTEMP/FRIDGE TEMP pad. The SET light will come on andthe display will show the set temperature. To change thetemperature, tap either the > or >pad until the desiredtemperature is displayed.Once the desired temperature has been set, the temperaturedisplay will return to the actual refrigerator and freezertemperatures after 5 seconds. Several adjustments may berequired. Each time you adjust the controls, allow 24 hours forthe refrigerator to reach the temperature you have set.The temperature controls can display both the SET temperature as wellas the actual temperature in the refrigerator and freezer. The actualtemperature may vary slightly from the SET temperature based onusage and operating environment. We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed. Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks! After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing. NOTE PLEASE READ: When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system. Thank You! Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.
Hi there,I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, is there something else I can help you with or did you just forget to rate the answer?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have not been able to get the freezer control to work. It shows 37, the same as the fridge and when I try to reset it, it goes over -130. I haven't been able to get it to change.
as I stated in the original answer, you will need to replace the main control board WR55X10942 - click here