Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have the kitchenaid KBRA22KRWH AND THE BOTTOM DOOR WONT OPEN

Customer Question

I have the kitchenaid KBRA22KRWH AND THE BOTTOM DOOR WONT OPEN AS IF ITS LOCKED....IS THERE A LOCKING SYSTEM
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
There is no lock on the bottom drawer. If the bottom won't open then either one of the rails has failed or there is ice building up inside preventing the door from opening. You'd need to unplug the refrigerator. Peel back the door seal all the way around and use a hair dryer to heat up any ice build up that you can through the crack in the door seal. You may have to just leave the unit unplugged for 24 hours to all the ice to thaw out in order to remove the drawer and thaw the ice out if the ice is build up too much or too far back. If after 24 hours it still doesn't open, you just have to force it because one of the rails is jammed and that rail will need to be replaced. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's impossible to open. The refrigerator has been unplugged for 24.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
If it's been unplugged for 24 hours, either the ice is still jamming or you'll need to get a technician out to force the door open and hopefully create no more damage because one of your rails locked up and would need to be replaced.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?