Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Maytag MDG64000AWW gas dryer that won't come on.

Customer Question

I have a Maytag MDG64000AWW gas dryer that won't come on. when you open the door the light comes on. I replaced the timer and it still won't start. what should I do next?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: MDG64000AWW gas dryer won't come on. the light co mes on when you open the door. I changed out the timer but it still won't come on.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Appliance Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: NO
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
It sounds like one of your thermal fuses has failed. You'll want to open the dryer door and unplug the dryer. Remove the 2 screws going through the door hinges into the front panel and then remove the 2 screws on the opposite side of the door way. The front panel will then unclip at the top and hinge forward and down. Remove this panel and you'll see the blower wheel housing in the bottom front left corner. There is a thermal fuse mounted to the front which looks like the part in the link below. CLICK HERE for thermal fuse Disconnect the 2 wires going to this fuse and tape them together (to bypass the fuse) and plug the dryer back in to see if it will run. If so, then you need to replace this fuse. You can also just test continuity through the fuse if you had a multimeter instead of bypassing the fuse. Other than that, there is another thermal fuse on the side of the heating cone below the dryer drum in the bottom right corner. Do the same test to this thermal fuse and the dryer should run. If neither fuse is bad and the door switch is good, you just have a bad motor and the motor would need to be replaced. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?