Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Good morning Have sears elite refr model *********** not making ice .I have replaced the

Customer Question

Good morning
Have sears elite refr model *********** not making ice .I have replaced the maker twice this year , Jan 2016 and last week April 15 .
both times made ice for a day then quit . Model # ***** ice maker AEQ72910409. I don't here the water being dispensed , is there a valve that is bad ? I don't believe it is the ice maker now.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
So I wouldn't rule out the icemaker yet since I have had to replace the icemaker 3 times in one case due to it coming faulty from the manufacture twice. That being said, to know if you have a water supply issue or a bad icemaker, just fill the icemaker up manually with a cup of water using a turkey baster. Then wait 24 hours and if the icemaker doesn't cycle either the icemaker is bad or the temperature inside the ice compartment isn't below 10ºF which will stop the icemaker from cycling. If the icemaker dumps the ice but doesn't refill, then either your valve is bad or the water line to the icemaker is frozen. Pull the refrigerator out and remove the electronic water valve on the back of your refrigerator. Blow through the water line and see if it's clear. If not then use a hair dryer to thaw out the water line and fill tube right above the icemaker since that is where it freezes. If it is clear, then replace the valve. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have put water in ice maker , will let you know if it drops cubs. Also the water valve was replaced last summer , leaked all over floor. Is it possible that went bad ? Water for drinking works fine ,
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately the valve could still be bad. The valve has multiple solenoids for the water dispenser and icemaker all built into one part so when one portion of the valve fails it doesn't affect the other.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?