Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Kelly - originally contacted you in Nov on this issue. It's

Customer Question

Kelly - originally contacted you in Nov on this issue. It's a fridge at our lakehouse so I've only now 5 months later, got around to installing the main control board you recommended. When I Installed board the fridge dispensed water,(ie appeared to be fixed) however when I pushed button on display panel to change from "water" to "ice", the board "popped" (flashed/blew spark) from SOLE DISP contact on the new main board, and fridge was dead. Installed original board, fridge at least working again but still no water or ice being dispensed. what would be causing the board to short out on that point on that connector. I have pictures. Also, the board installing easy on the top of the fridge, not the back. - Thanks in advance, Shawn
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
Something would have to be shorted, likely in the front display board or at the wiring harness at the door hinge. Can you get a look at the wiring connections at the door hinge, please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actually, the board shorted/popped - smoked/sparked - not when I pushed the display button from water to ice, but after that - when I actually pushed the cup against the dispenser switch/mechanism. Is that more clear? After that the fridge was dead (woulnt'; turn on). So I re-installed the original main board and it is at least now running but the water/ice dispenser still doesn't work. As I may have mentioned previously, the fridge is at a lakehouse that we rarely get to, so it will be a couple weeks until I can get back out there. For what it's worth, I originally bought a new display control board and installed it with the old (now reinstalled main control board) and it didn't make a difference. As for the wiring harness, everything appears to run to the main board which is on top of the fridge, not the back. Pix attached of board and where it popped/shorted and burned the plastic on the fridge and board.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
That is a pretty violent arc. There has to be a direct short to ground in that harness somewhere.