Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician
20703114

I have a subzero 650/f; the drain pan under the freezer compartment

Customer Question

I have a subzero 650/f; the drain pan under the freezer compartment must br emptied of water once a week. I have also noticed beads of condensation on the outside back walls and outside bottom of the freezer compartment. Am I dealing with two separate issues here?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Temperature seems to be stable in both fridge and freezer compartments. Stuff in fridge is cold, stuff in freezer is frozen.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. This generally is a door seal issue, how do the seals look?
Expert:  Dave replied 7 months ago.
Is the drain pan up on the rails? Or is it down on the floor?
The drain pan is under the front on the floor on this model I am not sure why Dave was posting here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The drain pan is up on rails and the outside edge snaps into a slot on the toekick of the fridge.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A u-shaped wire support at the back would be a better description of what holds the drain pan off of the floor.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The door seals appear ok (no tears, etc), although they are the original seals from when the unit was new, about 15 years ago.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 months ago.
Do you get that suction when the door closes?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, but only when the freezer drawer closes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Although it seems easier to open (less resistance) than in years past.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 months ago.
Do you have a thermometer in the freezer? If so, what is the temp?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
11-12 degrees farenheit. The electronic controller is set at 5 degrees farenheit
Expert:  Dave replied 7 months ago.
Have you cleaned the condenser recently? Is the condenser fan running?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes on both counts. Condenser was cleaned last week.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 months ago.
If you look in the upper part of the freezer, on the top,do you see an ice buildup on the evaporator? If so it may not be defrosting automatically.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm guessing the evaporator is on top of the freezer compartment on the inside where the top and back wall meet. There is ice build up there.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 months ago.
You can force a manual defrost by holding the ice off/on button for 6 seconds. You should hear a small click and the fan in the freezer will stop.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will this address the water buildup in the drain pan and the condensation on the outside walls of the freezer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I guess I can force the defrost as needed from now on with the same method.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 months ago.
If it's colder, and there's no air leaks it should solve the problem.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How long should the defrost cycle take?
Expert:  Dave replied 7 months ago.
About 25 minutes, or until the defrost terminator gets warm and cuts off power to the heater.
Do you see any heater in the drain pan on your unit?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will have to get back to you tomorrow on that. I had not emptied the drain pan for several days. I started the defrost cycle again as there was still ice build up present.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm guessing you meant water instead of heater on the last question; yes, there is a heater loop in the drain pan.
Yes make sure the pan is level and contacting the loop. Also make sure the condenser is clean and airflow is good by the compressor.
The loop may not be contacting the pan well causing the issue. See if that is the case and get back to me. All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime! Appliance Guru
Expert:  Dave replied 7 months ago.
Hope this resolves your problem.
Just get back to me Appliance Guru when you can I was the one that started the question with you. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
,There is still ice buildup on the condenser after two forced defrost cycles. Would it help to remove the ice buildup first?
Yes remove the ice build up on the evaporator and where exactly is the ice build up?
Expert:  Dave replied 7 months ago.
You can use a hair dryer to get rid of the remaining ice.
First let me know where the ice is built up exactly location and even a picture would help, secondly would you prefer to deal with me Appliance Guru or Dave? As Dave came in on the question many hours after you had posted and this is confusing...just let me know as I do not like to deal with a customer with two techs involved so I would rather have you just let me know who you prefer to deal with. Thanks Appliance Guru
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dave-the ice build up is on the inside top right corner of the freezer compartment. Sorry Guru-I did not realize I was initially dealing with two techs.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 months ago.
Is it just in the corner, or all across the upper front vent?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just in the far inside upper corner.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 months ago.
If everything is running, and it's still not cooling then you're probably low on coolant. That is something you would need a trained appliance tech to come to your house for.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Turns out the ice build up was superficial; I removed the cover that was covering the freezer fan and had the ice removed within 5 minutes (it was only on the outside of the cover). There is a bit of water in the drain pan. The heater loop, which is warm to the touch, is definitely inside the drain pan.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 months ago.
It sounds like you have solved the problem. Good job, maybe you have a future as an appliance tech.