Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Whirlpool washer 110.26912691 Agitates but won't spin.

Customer Question

Whirlpool washer
110.26912691
Agitates but won't spin. Motor coupling good.
Two speed motor
Replaced transmission but still won't spin.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 7 months ago.
There are only two options left, either the clutch springs are bad or the spin tube is shot one of the two, most likely it will be the clutch springs:Washer ClutchPart #:(###) ###-####- click herehere is a video of how to replace:click here We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed. Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks! After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing. NOTE PLEASE READ: When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system. Thank You! Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.
before you look at though , have you checked the lid switch?
If you have not check the lid switch yet, then here is a video that shows how to bypass the switch so you can rule that out as well:click here
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Now the replacement transmission wont agitate for some reason. Something sounds like it's rattling near the transmission. When I turn the clutch by hand, the motor coupling doesn't spin. Is this normal?
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 7 months ago.
Hello I am a different tech can you turn the coupler on the transmission?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, when I turn it one way the transmission shaft slowly turns one way. When I turn it the other way the shaft reverses. Is the clutch supposed to turn when I turn the motor coupling?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's not, no matter what way I turn it
where did you get the transmission from?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
After further investigation, when I turn the motor coupling clockwise on both transmission the clutch engages and when turned counter clockwise it agitates.
I thought the transmission was bad so that why I tried a new one.
SO what does it not do exactly?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It would drain but wouldn't spin..somehow got it to spin but the agitator is not moving when on spin. Is this normal?
Yes the agitator should not really move when on spin at all or if it does it would just be the little bit of drag on it. You should be able to hold the agitator firm while spinning. Sounds like it is working?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah. Why would it of been draining but not spinning? Shouldn't the motor make it spin and drain at the same time?
That is a neutral drain transmission the unit agitates for a bit then the neutral drain lever trips in the transmission so when the motor first reverses for spin it only pumps out water, then the timer has a built in PAUSE for a few seconds to stop the motor, the centrifugal force throws the lever back and then when it starts again it will spin...you can duplicate the pause by opening and closing the lid when it is neutral draining, then WHALA it will spin. This is by design. All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You think the timer could be on its way out?
It could be an issue, but are you just opening the lid during the cycle when it is pumping out not seeing it spin?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Replaced the motor coupling months back. Got a call back regarding no spin.. When I got there it sounded like the motor coupling was bad when on spin. Didn't check agitation at the time. checked motor coupling and it was fine. Assumed wrongly it was a bad Transmisison.. Not sure what was wrong with it now since it's working again
Maybe nothing or maybe the transmission I would just keep an eye on it