John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

My ge side by side wasn't cool on either side and had a huge

Customer Question

My ge side by side wasn't cool on either side and had a huge amount of ice build up from the drain being blocked. I cleared it all out and got the drain open and the fan kicked on and started cooling again. That was on Sunday morning now it's Thursday morning and it's not cold again on either side.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Anything else I can tell the Appliance Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: No that's all thank you
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
The first thing to do is inspect the condenser coil to see if there's a layer of dust and lint restricting the air flow through it. If there is, remove it with a ShopVac. Make certain the condenser air fan blade is clean, and that the fan motor is turning the fan freely. If the fridge compartments don't get cold, after a couple of hours, please get back to me for further instructions.If my answer satisfies your needs, please check one of the stars in the expert's rating system, located at the top of your screen, to let us know how we've done. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. The coils were dusty and I vacuumed them as best I could. I also took the back cover off and vacuumed that area and removed dust from the fan. However nothing has kicked on the fridge is not cooling, is there something else I need to do?
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Try removing the power by unplugging the power cord or switching the breaker off, for 30 minutes. After you restore the power, check to make sure the cold control is turned on. If the compressor does not start running, please get back to me. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you will do.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not see any difference. The fridge temp is about 60 degrees, taken on my meat thermometer. Freezer is not cold. It's been turned back on for 1 hour.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
OK. We've done all we can without considering parts failure. Will you please send me the model number, so I can find the necessary parts information I need to assist you further?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here it is.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Does the compressor turn on at all?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I don't think so. There is no noise at all.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
OK. Thank you. You need to replace the refrigerator cold control thermostat. The only place I found one is on E-bay. GE no longer has the part for sale. You can buy the part by going to www.ebay.com, and typing the part number WR09X10016 into the search box. The price is $25.00. I suggest you waste no time in purchasing it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I took the temperature control cover off to see if I could possibly do the repair myself and then all the sudden the fridge kicked on. I do not understand.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
The thermostat has a spring loaded switch, and some times the contacts stick together, or don't quite close.Maybe there's something to be said for slapping your appliances, once in a while. You know what's commonly said, "If it works, don't fix it". I suggest you buy the cold control on Ebay. It's cheap insurance for the possibility that yours may fail at some time in the future.