Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our kitchenaid dishwasher - the drawer version - keeps on turning

Customer Question

Our kitchenaid dishwasher - the drawer version - keeps on turning itself on and shining a red light. We turn it off, then 10 sec later its back on, beeping and shining a red light
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
This issue you're experiencing means that the dishwasher has gone into flood mode because water has worked it's way below the bottom drawer and into the base pan. You'd need to pull the drawer out and see if there is water in the base. If so, soak all the water up and use a hair dryer to dry all the water. If you find a cracked hose or something like that then that would need to be replaced, otherwise sometimes a dish was stacked too high not allowing the lid to close which can cause flooding. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no water in the base nor in the top drawer. It doesn't seem to be that that is the problem
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Regardless of whether there is water in the base or not, that IS the problem. That's the only reason the dishwasher acts this way. So if there is no water in the base, then your mains filter board below the plastic cover in the far back left corner has failed because it thinks there is water in the base and there is not. This board is what senses the water in the base pan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And what am I supposed to do? I've emptied entire lower drawer, and nothing changes
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You would have to replace the faulty control board if there is no water in the base and it's going into flood mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not an expert, but if it's in flood Mode come out why doesn't it just drain whatever few drops of water is left there? Because it can drain it, but it doesn't.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The motor running is the drain pump running The dishwasher can't drain every last bit of water, once it starts sucking air, it can't pull water anymore then some water backflows in from the drain hose etc----none of that matters at this point. The point is that it's in flood mode and you're saying there is no water in the base pan below the drawer so whether you understand it or not you need to have the board replaced.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, thank you. I'm going to have to go with a different service to get this resolved
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok then have a nice day.