Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

We have a viking D3 refrigerator freezer, model #RDDF236SS02.

Customer Question

We have a viking D3 refrigerator freezer, model #RDDF236SS02. It is periodically leaking water out of the two front corners. There is ice on the surface under the the freezer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today. every 8-12 hours your refrigerator goes into a defrost cycle to melt the ice off the evaporator coils, then the water goes down the defrost drain tube to the defrost pan under the fridge, if the tube gets stopped up it will cause the water to back up into the fridge. The drain will have to be cleaned out. On most models the drain is located behind the freezer panel in the freezer under the evaporator coils you will need to remove the back panel and you will see a small hole under the evaporator that is where the water is suppose to drain, get a air hose if you have an air compressor or a turkey baster and hot water and blow the drain out until the water drains down the hole properly and it will be fixed, let me know if you have any questions We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed. Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks! After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing. NOTE PLEASE READ: When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system. Thank You! Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Cleaning out the drain tube sounds like it would do it. However, your reply talked about "models" As best I can tell in my model, which I gave you, access to the drain tube led underneath the evaporator coils cannot be obtained by looking the evaporator coils, which cannot been seen by taking off the back panels. What I did do, finally was locate drip pan, which spread out under the compressor. I then located a flexible, open raceway which angled down from the top of the compartment which houses the compressor. By persistence I was able to bend this aside to locate slotted rubber nipple that yielded moisture. I took a very small cable tie and thrust upward to yield more moisture. Now drops! I was able to remove this nipple to reveal small section of hard tube protruding horizontally from the over head. I took a compressed air can and blew up in th tube.

The refrigerator has now been off for a couple of hours, ice on of freezer removed. I am going to put it back together, plug it into, turn it on and see what happen!

Get back if any comments. I will check back after the refrigerator is back together and on.

John Bowne

Ok sounds good thanks.