Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I have a Speed Queen washer. My wife washed a patio furniture

Customer Question

I have a Speed Queen washer. My wife washed a patio furniture cover in it. She said there was debris from the lining left in the drum. She cleaned it out and started a new load. It went through to the final spin cycle and the there was a squealing noise and smoke.
The Sears repair guy first said it's a bad belt and replaced it. It still didn't work. Next he said it needed a new motor because the pulley was pinning on the motor shaft. He replaced the motor. That didn't solve the problem. If I spin the drum counterclockwise like (unscrewing it) it spins fine. Once I turn the drum in the opposite direction, it won't spin.
Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today. Ok so I am sorry that this was not caught before hand but this is a very simple issue and the sears guy should have known this, on that model the water pump is connected directly to the shaft of the motor when something gets in the pump it locks the motor up and will not allow it to spin, remove the pump and clean out whatever trash got it in from the patio furniture verify the pump will spin and reinstall it, you probably will not even have to replace the pump. We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed. Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks! After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing. NOTE PLEASE READ: When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system. Thank You! Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, I'll check it out. But it seemed the water pumped out fine.
Not possible if the motor is locked up, the pump would not be able to run.
now if the motor is running and spinning fine and its is draining fine then the gear in the transmission is busted.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I took off the pump it seems to spin fine. I haven't taken off the hoses yet and have to leave for the day. The motor spins fine. The pulley spins. The belt remains stationary. Any other ideas?
If all that checks out then washing the heavy patio stuff broke the gear in the transmission and its locked up now the transmission will have to be replaced to repair the unit.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Great!!!
ya sorry for the bad news wish it were something else but unfortunately that is the issue here .. please remember to leave me a rating before leaving today, thanks so much.