Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a fridaire freezer and the temp light stays on, on

Customer Question

I have a fridaire freezer and the hi temp light stays on, on the board in the front of the door and the fan seems like it stays running, like the board hasn't or doesn't reach temp what could be the problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
The first thing you need to do is check the temperature inside the freezer to see what the actual temperature is. Can you tell me what temperature it is inside the freezer using an alternate thermostat?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Once you get the temperature, you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, not frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

The evap is all frosted and looks good

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
OK if the fan is running, it sounds like the freezer is just not defrosting on it's own. You'll need to use a multimeter to test continuity through the heater (along the bottom of the silver coils below the frost) and the defrost thermostat (1" round device clipped at the top of the silver coils). If either part doesn't continuity through it, it needs to be replaced because that will stop the unit from defrosting on it's own. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?