John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Bosh dishwasher SHE3AR56UC/14 that is not draining.

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have replaced everything including the drain line.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
Do you have power at the drain pump?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do, here is the background. Initially the DW was not completing a cycle and there was water in the basin. Through this effort I have changed out the drain pump, display board, control board, and heat pump. I cleared the drain lines, not finding any blockage. I ran the customer diagnostic this morning and it showed a drain pump failure, drain pump coil failure or a clog, I only have LED's and there are three possible issues. I am at a loss.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
OK this is going to be messy but at least it will give you an answer to the question. Remove the drain pump from the sump area but leave it hanging on its supply wires. Set a program and start the appliance. The first 20 or so seconds are pump out so you should be able to both check the electrical supply and the mechanical operation - make sure you dont short out anything to the case or through you !! Then come back to me.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer I like the way you think. I removed the pump from the sump and connected. Hit the start button and it took off and spun.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
OK we now know that the power is being supplied from the main control board to the pump and that there is a 80% chance that the pump is OK - whilst you have the pump off you need to check that the drain pipe is clear and also the sump. Once you have done this put it back together - then take a kettle of hot water and pour that into the sump leaving it for a couple of minutes and then try to pump the hot water out having checked that the drain is clear.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, I put about a gallon of hot water in the sump, let it set, turned the unit on and selected start and heard the pump spin and the water dumping into the disposal.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Any further advice?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 7 months ago.
OK let me try and explain - there is a float switch in the base of the appliance that is fitted to stop an water leakage that gets into the base to damage the electric motor, drain pump and heater which are located there. If water gets into the base this causes the drain pump to constantly run. It doesnt pump out the water from the base pan it just runs constantly to alert the engineer. If you have cleaned out the sump area and it is now pumping correctly you should be good to go - the appliance automatically resets once the fault is corrected.