Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I am trying to help a friend determine if a 6-burner Vulcan

Customer Question

I am trying to help a friend determine if a 6-burner Vulcan range is worth saving. The two ovens, griddle, and broiler all work fairly well. The problem is that none of the 6 standing pilots for the range burners will light. The burners will light with a match and function well, but the pilots won't take a flame.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Appliance Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so. Thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! The pilot tubes are probably plugged or the main feed from the thermostat is plugged. If the unit is in good shape beyond that, it would certainly be worth having it repaired. You could expect about $125-150 to have it professionally cleaned and serviced to take care of the pilot issue.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The unit does need a thorough cleaning as the previous tenant of the space was not too concerned with appliance hygiene. Could there be a thermocouple that needs to heat up first in order to light the pilots? I was thinking maybe the oven needs to be lit before attempting to light the pilots.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
There is probably not a thermocouple for the top burners. It may just need to be cleaned thoroughly. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I believe it is a V620 with double convection ovens, 6 burner range top, broiler, and flat top. I haven't find a model number on it. The kickplate is missing.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
I can't find anything using that model. I would suggest a thorough cleaning, followed by removing the pilot tubes and blowing them out with compressed air.