Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My fridgedaire refrigerator is leaking water onto the floor

Customer Question

My fridgedaire refrigerator is leaking water onto the floor underneath, and into the refrigerator side - not the freezer side. The ice maker works fine, but the in-door water hasnt worked for over a year - we use bottled water so it hasnt been an issue. Any idea what the problem is?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes, I will happily provide you with a good rating for your time and help. Looking up model number now...one second...
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Model: FGHC2345LF5
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thank you! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Email is easier for now thanks...
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Does the water seem to be only in the fresh food side and any water marks from the top area or it just appears in the bottom?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes only in fresh food side, no water marks. Sitting water on inside of fridge on shelves.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Water leak started on ground running out underneath the fridge...
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
If you look in the filter area, is there water in the housing where the filter goes?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Looking at filter now...
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Roger that, thanks!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Condinsation where filter is connected to the side wall of fridge, no water in the housing...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Says water filter is still good on fridge
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Hmm, there are only a couple of places water in the refrigerator is going to come from. If it is getting on the shelves, it has to be from above, so the filter area would be suspect. There should be no condensation, so I suspect there is a leak when the ice maker goes to cycle. It will cycle about every 2-3 hours, so about 8-10 times per day. Is the water leaking from the refrigerator onto the floor or is there a leak under the cabinet, too?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Water is only leaking from underneath the outside of fridge onto the kitchen floow...middle of fridge. Is the water filter the round one?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Second leak is likely coming from the top inside on fresh food side
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no water marks at all on wall or ceiling inside fridge
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just built up water on shelves
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, so the filter or the filter head is probably leaking. I would replace the filter and see if you still have leaking inside. The leak outside is most likely due to a connection issue or deterioration of the plastic line, especially near the compressor where it gets hot.
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Let me know what you find with the lines. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help! Please remember to rate before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!