Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

How do you remove the agitator from a hot point top loading

Customer Question

How do you remove the agitator from a hot point top loading washing machine. The model number is ***** A gold chain is caught underneath.
Submitted: 7 months ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
This agitator is just held on by friction. Hotpoint used to make a tool years ago that was sort of like a bicycle inner tube which would slide under the agitator and you could inflate it to pop the agitator off. The tool is no longer made but all you really need to do is grab the bottom of the agitator with you and possibly a friend and lift up really really hard and it'll unclip at the bottom and pop off. Then you'll see a plastic hub below the agitator which the agitator used to clip onto. There is 1 bolt going into the center through the top. Remove the bolt and the hub pulls straight up if the chain is wrapped below the hub. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tyler, I took off the agitator and then undid the bolt on the part underneath but the chain is still under that gray plate. How does that come out?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
You would need a spanner wrench to remove the bolt holding the inner basket in place, then pulling the entire inner basket out, and unscrewing that plate from the bottom of the basket.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.