Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Ge oven started smoking overheating during operation??? I

Customer Question

ge oven started smoking overheating during operation??? I wanted to check bottom element how do I disassemble to get to the element. model jb680sp2ss
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
If your oven doesn't need to be self cleaned, then you would want to check your bake and broil elements for continuity. You can't access the bake element from inside the oven since it's mounted below the floor. You'd need to uninstall the oven and pull it out of the kitchen cabinets. The bake element pulls out the left side of the oven. There is a sheet metal access panel you can unscrew to pull the element out. Use a multimeter to test continuity through the element and if it doesn't have continuity, replace it. Do the same with the broil element. The broil element is accessed by removing the back sheet metal panel so you can unplug the element and test continuity through the element. Other than that if both elements check good, you need to open your windows, turn the vents/fans on if you have any, and run a self clean to burn off anything inside the oven that is creating the smoke and odor. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?