bonzaco
bonzaco,
Experience:  Owner at Dales Electronic
26760916

I heard a series of clicking sound (some source of relay) cycling

Customer Question

I heard a series of clicking sound (some source of relay) cycling on and off and my refrigerator tempt start to raises and it's not cooling at all. Thank you
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Needs help for question above
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No air flow in both compartments
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.
Is the clicking coming from the motor (compressor) at the back?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not exactly at the motor, but seems like it's came from the electronic board
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fan and compressor run normal but no air flow inside (both fresh food compartment and freezer) temp indicator on door shoe 0 / 35 degree
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.
OK which fan is running, is that the internal or external ie near the compressor?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
External fan, some air flow in freezer, but not cold at all, no airflow in fresh food compartment at all humidity build up
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.
OK that is fine that at least indicates that power is at the back. What I need you to do now is to check the pipes coming out of the compressor - you will have two that are of a larger diameter that the third. One of the two is likely capped or crimped off. I need you to put your hand on the small diameter pipe around 6" or so from the compressor and tell me if it is hot and at the same time tell me if the casing of the compressor is warm or hot to the touch.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I opened the back lower panel and check the item that you requested, the tube that are hot to the touch is protruding from the compressor block itself I also discover the clicking sound earlier is some source of relay that plug into the compressor
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.
OK as I initially expected, the clicking that you hear is the thermal cut out on the compressor which is activated when the compressor tries to draw too much current from the supply. This is nearly always caused by the compressor having overheated and seized. There is no easy remedy other than replacing the compressor with a new one. Time for you to consider what you want to do as the cost of the parts will be between $150-$250 with labor extra. At least you know what the problem is finally. Unfortunately this is not a diy project as special refrigerant recovery and tooling is required to do the job. Would you now kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page. Once done all further questions are free of charge, do come back to me if you require further information. Many thanks for using JA and sorry to be the purveyor of bad news - Ian
Expert:  bonzaco replied 8 months ago.
Would you kindly rate the information by using the star rating system at the top of the page. This allows me to close the job down on the system whilst giving you free access should you need it later. Thanks for using JA and have a great day - Ian