Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a french door on top and freeze on bottom. Make is Frigidaire.

Customer Question

I have a french door on top and freeze on bottom. Make is Frigidaire. The reading in side are coded withFridge reading 5Y and the freeze is reading EF. Can you tell me what those reading mean?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
This error 5Y EF means that your evaporator fan motor isn't running properly. This fan is the one behind the back panel inside the freezer directly in the middle. You'll need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. Check the fan motor to see if any ice or frost is building up around the fan motor stopping it from spinning properly. If it all checks good, you'll want to order and replace the evaporator fan motor because it's not spinning properly which is why the error is occurring. Other than that, just unplug the refrigerator, thaw all the frost/ice with a hair dryer around the fan and if the error comes back it means the fan motor just needs to be replaced. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?