Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a question about my inner tube dishwasher

Customer Question

I have a question about my inner tube for my dishwasher
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
If the bearing is oval shaped, you will need to replace the entire rear outer tub because that is the only way that the bearing is sold is with the entire outer tub. The part number for this part is###-##-####and it's about $250. Also, the inner basket has the spider attached (you can't replace it separately). Whenever the bearing goes bad the shaft gets damaged on the spider. The part number you'd need to order is###-##-####and that is the entire stainless steel basket. It costs about $350 so in parts alone you'd be looking at $600. Most people will replace the entire washer rather that repair it but that is completely up to you. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I figure if I replace the bearing and the inner basket the machine will be like new. I put a new motor and dishcharge pump in it last year. Not a lot left to do. A new washer will run me 7 to 8 hundred. What would you do? I want to keep this one to be honest.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
If you can do the work yourself and you want to keep the washer, then I think that's completely fine. But if you have to pay someone to replace the parts, I think it's best you just replace the washer. Having someone replace the parts would be another $350-400 for trip and labor.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was also told that the shaft on the spider rarely goes bad. This is the second bearing after 12 years. I think it should be replaced but don't want to do if not bad.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
I'm not going to argue with what someone else told you---you're not paying for their advice. The spider goes bad OFTEN on this washer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's what I thought. I agree with you. Not trying to start a argument. Sorry. I will be doing to labor myself.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Alright well I do wish you only the best but I'm sorry about the bad news.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not bad news !! Good news. Better than you teeling me to scrap the machine.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Alright, well that's one way to look at it. Good luck to you! Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know.