Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a E42BS75 built in frig. The problem is with the freezer

Customer Question

I have a E42BS75 built in frig. The problem is with the freezer section. There appears to be a condensation or upper RH reservoir that has a translucent hose that goes to the rear of unit , thru a hole in the back . it look like there is a thermal wire INSIDE This short rubber tube that is used to warm up the tube when water is collected it , to drain to thru the hole I mentioned .
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Appliance Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: THe element doest seem to heat up , so the water freezes inside , and then when there is condensate drainage.. it drips on the RH light bulb and starts to collect.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: what is causing this ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I am Appliance Guru,Can you take a photo of it and upload it here?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no.. its at the customer home .. this wont help with the question I posted ..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I need a direct , analyatical answer. I prefer to actually TALK .. the of fashion way . is that possible?
Are you talking about the drain for the small evaporator? I believe that is what you are talking about.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the upper RH section ..?? With adhesive foil on it ? There is a collection reservoir , and the translucent tube connects to it and angles back to the hole ... yes I believe that is what we are talking about
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what is that collection reservoir for anyway??
Yes that is the condensate drain for the evaporator, it gets blocked with ice or clogged. You need to clear it out with a steamer or hair dryer and use a turkey baster to clear it out then it will drain again fine and not drip onto the bulb.All I ask is please use the star rating link at the top of your page before leaving
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that doesn't solve this problem ..
THIS IS MY QUESTION :
There is a heating element INSIDE this short tube ( that you haven't mentioned ) from the bottom of the condensate reservoir to the back . This was never a problem for 2 years or more. ... NOW it is.
Logic says that the element is no longer working . & I need to test this .. or the circuit control to it ... .. correct?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ice is NOT suppose to be forming in this tube... that's why water is leaking inside freezer and collecting on the light bulb below it !!!!
I did not see you had posted anywhere that the unit comes up with a heater error. There are only two heaters in that area on the diagram would be the evaporator heater and a drain pan heater, it does not show a drain tube heater on the parts breakdown nor is the drain tube even available anymore So I would say it would be the pan heater is causing that issue part(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is it possible to diagnose a problem with this model from the front control panel? I did not post any thing about a heater error... but if I can press a series of buttons to set it to a TEST MODE.. I will!!There is not any mention of a heating element inside this short tube? I see a red and a White wire in loose twisted loops.. so I assume this is a "heating element " to prevent just the problem you describe and im experiencing .... right?
There is no test mode on the unit for that check the heater and ohm it out, I have double checked the parts manual for the unit listed in the question and there is no signs of a drain snake heater on it. The heater I listed will be the one you need to stop it from freezing.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
where is this PAN heater located and how do I get it removed ? can you send a link of this diagram so I can click it and see what your talking about please ?
CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok..... the area I was talking about is part #317 that tube has a wire element INSIDE It !! that is whats freezing up with ice crystals and then it cant drain.... does that make sense ?
that element is in the bottom of that reservoir .. ??? how do I get at it .. that little reservoir is attached to the top or back of the unit ... how do I test that little sensor????
Ok as you can see there is no heater inside it on the diagram there is not one shown and if it did come with the drain tube that is not available anymore. You would have to test it with an OHM METER for continuity. You have to remove all the panels to get at the evaporator and the tube.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok. per you explanation ..but ... that will NOT solve or fix my problem ... will it ?That part #312 . where is that located ? and what does it do ?
#312 is the defrost heater for the evaporator that is what melts the frost off the evaporator every 8-10 hours, but the pan heater is what keeps the drain tube from freezing and pan from freezing. I would replace or check the drain pan heater #317 and see if that is burned out.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
#317 is the Tube.. and its not available ..!! :-)im confused by your last message..
Sorry I was thinking you were referring to the other heater, no the part is not available so if the element had come with the tube you would have to get a generic snake heater and use it or not repair it. Here is a link to some common generic drain heaters that you could wire in. The top one or bottom one at this link would be your best bet.CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
do u mean 328 is the defrost heater?
Yes that is the defrost heater for the evaporator
I am going offline here soon all I ask is please use the star rating link at the top of your page before leaving tonight you can get back to me tomorrow for more help.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
so... after all this ... im confused.The diagram shows that little tube..and there is NO heater or wire element shown.. so what does that mean ?? I have a unit WITH a wire in it .. . I assume for preventing ice .. it has to cycle on some sort of time period .. right ?
No that is a constant low watt drain tube heater that likely came with the drain tube when the sold it, but since they do not you can not get it so you would either have to get one of the generic ones I listed or not repair it pretty simple.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
.... but that part doest exist ...per the manufacturer..but it does in my unit .so I can try to replace the pan heater element for $290 ..but its not even proven that will fix my problem. BTW ,,, these prices are simply INSANELY priced.! for just 2 heating elements .. I can buy a whole , complete Frig for god sake !
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes.... the generid one you listed it the option ..question .. would the pan heater you suggested .. #312
that would or would not fix my problem ?
It could but you should test it first, but if the heater in the tube is bad or burned out you would have to get a generic one to install in there. I would check both to be sure.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok..
so you suggest I just use my ohm meter to check #312 the pan heat for continuity . I will do that first .
how do I get to it ?
if its 0 ohms.. I ll test the low load , continuous wire in the drain tube
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how do I get to the pan heater #312 to test leads for continuity ?
All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving.