Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Roper refrigeraror, freezer on top,

Customer Question

Roper refrigeraror, freezer on top, running but not defrosting; refrigerator only getting doen to about 60 F.
Model RTI80KKHN88, SER EJI523243.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
So let's start by explaining the possibilities for your symptoms. If the freezer works but the refrigerator is getting too warm, this means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own. If both the heater and the defrost thermostat have continuity through them, then your defrost timer in the control panel at the top of the refrigerator has failed and isn't advancing the defrost cycle properly so it would need to be replaced. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please refund. I don't have the time now to follow your guidance, so will probably pick up a new reefer. Thanks.