Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

GE Electric Dryer

Customer Question

i am sitting on your site waiting for a response but the "process your transaction" just keeps scrolling.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! The front panel comes off of this machine, allowing full access to the interior. See link below. CLICK HERE What problem are you having with this machine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So here's the deal. GE electric dryer model DPSB620EC4WW. Long time drying so finally decided to check for lint build up. Removed front panel and cleaned. Reset drum but lint was minor. Haven't pulled the back panel yet but when I pulled the dryer away from wall I had a load and figured "Oh well, might as well get this dried". Actually seemed to be heating better but would run for 3 minutes, shut itself off for three, restart on its own for three, etc. The house was built with a bad interface between the dryer exhaust and the external vent so the hose is short and has two very tight wicked turns in order to exit. While I recognize the obvious risk here, I have not ever had a problem with lint build up but I know I need to check for the obvious. I have a feeling having moved the unit even a few inches from the wall may have allowed it to heat better so the heating element may be OK, and I sort of doubt a bad element would cause the current on/off/on/off etc. Once I clean the backside and check the vent, if it continues the on/off routine I am suspecting either a thermostat or thermal overload switch/thermistor. Your thoughts? Am I on the right path? Thanks. Bob
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
This dryer uses two elements so one may fail and allow only low heat for drying. When you say it shuts off for 3 minutes. does the heat shut off or the entire dryer? If just the heat, it does sound like it is overheating. If the hose in the back is getting pinched to kinked, it will cause overheating.