John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Ice maker runs a week and then will shut off for

Customer Question

Ice maker runs for approx a week and then will shut off for 7-10 days and then start up again. Control board has been replaced as has drain pump. Any ideas what is going on?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
Hello from our service,My name is***** am so happy to help you today.I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions. There was no change when you replaced those parts at all?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We had the parts replaced after it completely shut down. Now, we are having the intermittent start/stop problem.
Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
Do you have the part number of the board you installed?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes the # ***** *****
Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
Have you ohmed out the bin thermister to see what it reads?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
You will need to ohm it out, it may be showing to be open or closed completely fooling the system to not to make ice.
Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
Have you checked the thermister on the unit yet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The unit came back on prior to your message and we didn't want to unplug it while it was working. My husband had surgery yesterday so it is going to be a few weeks before he is up to doing anything. The unit shut off this afternoon. We will check the thermistor as soon as he is given the all clear to be on his feet.